Slow cooked root vegetable chilli
This warming, vegetable stew started when I found some turnips ready in the garden, but you could use different combinations and quantities depending what you like and what you have. Apart from washing and chopping the vegetables, I left the rest to the slow cooker and came home to a delicious dinner. I make my own chili powder so you may need to adjust your quantity depending on how hot yours is and how hot you like your food. Serve over rice or baked potatoes or quinoa.
Recipe type: slow cooker, vegan, whole food plant based, oil free
Serves: Serves 6-8
- one large onion, peeled and chopped (200g)
- 700g potatoes or sweet potatoes or a mixture of both, washed and diced
- 200g turnip or daikon, washed and diced
- 200g carrot, washed and diced
- 250g cooked red kidney beans or a can drained and rinsed
- two 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 140g tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder*
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder, I like Massell's
- salt to taste
- *to make ¼ cup chilli powder mix together 2 tbsp paprika, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp each of ground cumin, garlic powder, cayenne and onion powder.
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 5-8 hours, depending on how hot your cooker runs
- Taste and season with salt as required. Depends on how salty your tomatoes and tomato paste are.