slow-cooked peanut pumpkin soup
This soup has an intriguing nutty taste. You can use pumpkin only or a mix of pumpkin, kumara or other vegetables such as carrot or parsnip if you have them.
Recipe type: soup
Serves: 4-6 portions
- 250g pumpkin flesh, cut into cubes
- 250g kumara, peeled and cut into cubes
- One medium onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- Two garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre boiling water
- Two tablespoons peanut butter
- One teaspoon curry powder
- One teaspoon coriander seeds
- Roast the vegetables at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes until soft and browning at the edges. (I usually do this whilst I'm baking something else. )
- Scrape the roasted vegetables into the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours.
- Blend until smooth using a stick blender.
- Check seasoning and adjust to taste. Whether you need more salt will depend on the saltiness of your curry powder and peanut butter.