Pineapple fruit cake
A tin of crushed pineapple adds sweetness and moisture to this fruit cake and takes the place of eggs, butter and refined sugar. Less rich than many fruitcakes but with a structural stability that withstands travel for morning tea on the beach.
Recipe type: Cake
Cuisine: wholefood plant based
Serves: 16 slices
- 425g tin crushed pineapple in juice
- 400g dried fruit
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 300g wholemeal flour
- 100g walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Put the pineapple, dried fruit and chia seeds in a large mixing bowl,
- Add the plant milk, vinegar and vanilla essence.
- Cover and leave to stand for half an hour so the fruit plumps up.
- Add the flour and walnuts.
- Sift in the baking powder and baking soda and mix gently to combine.
- Pour into a 23cm diameter silicone cake mould.
- Bake at 160 degrees C for an hour until a skewer comes out clean.