roasted beetroot and broad bean hummus
You neither need to like beetroot nor broad beans to enjoy this dip or spread. I didn't have chickpeas for hummus so I used the broad beans from the freezer as an alternative legume. I froze half the dip and that came out fine but I prefer it warm when it's just made. I roast extra vegetables when the oven is on so this dip is quick to make with leftovers - carrots or kumara would work well too.
Recipe type: dip or spread
Cuisine: wholefood plant based
Serves: 2 cups
- 500g beetroot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g broad beans
- Two tablespoons tahini
- Roast the beetroot chunks on a baking tray at 180 degrees until tender, about 30-40 minutes
- Put the broad beans in a saucepan with about 1cm water.
- Boil for 5 minutes then drain, reserving the water
- Allow the vegetables to cool and transfer to a food processor with the tahini
- Blend until smooth, adding a little of the broad bean cooking water to get the consistency you prefer
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if required